Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Manhattan, Kansas (2 wounded) , Rock Hill, SC (2 teens dead) each with gun negligence in subsequent days; Amarillo Man dies in "freak accident"

2 Kansas men hospitalized after accidental shooting

RILEY COUNTY, KS   (4-4-16) Law enforcement authorities in Riley County are investigating a pair of weekend accidental shootings, according to a media release.

Just before 4p.m. on Sunday, it was reported to police that Kevin L. Worrell, 59, was manipulating a handgun at his residence in the 4200 Block of Kaw in Manhattan when it accidentally discharged.

The bullet struck his son Travis J. Worrell, 33, in the left leg, who was standing nearby.

Travis was transported to Via Christi Hospital in Manhattan and then later transferred to a medical center in Wichita.

His injuries are considered to be serious, but non life-threatening.

Just after 2:30 a.m., on Saturday, officers were dispatched to Via Christi Hospital for a report of an individual that had accidentally shot himself while manipulating a handgun in his residence in the 800 block of Ratone Street in Manhattan.

Police reported Matthew T. Collet, 29, accidentally shot himself in the hand as well as the leg. Collett’s injuries are considered to be non-life threatening.


UPDATE: Police Say Elkins Shooting Was an Accidental, Self-Inflicted Incident

Elkins, WV (4-4-16) Elkins Police Chief Craig Cross says according to the victim's statements to police, Monday morning's shooting was an accidental, self-inflicted incident.

Chief Cross says the gun was stolen from a car earlier in the night. Police say the man shot himself in the groin, and injuries are not life threatening.

A press release is still expected shortly.

ORIGINAL STORY:  The Elkins Police Department is investigating an apparent shooting early Monday morning.  Police say it happened just after 5:30 a.m.

Officials say one person was shot, but there was no information available to how badly that person was injured.   There is also no word on any suspects at this time.


Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office: Woman shot by man who says he was cleaning gun

Berkeley County,  SC  (4-4-16) A 28-year-old woman was taken to the hospital Sunday night after a 40-year-old man shot her, according to the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies responded just after 8:30 p.m. to Trident Medical Center, where North Charleston police were talking with a man who said he accidentally shot the woman, according to an incident report.

The man, who does not appear to have been arrested according to online records, said he and the woman went on a motorcycle ride together earlier in the day and returned to his residence on Jedburg Road in Summerville. He told police he was cleaning out his Beretta 9 mm while the woman was outside cooking food on the grill when a round was discharged and went through the wall.

The woman was struck in her left-side midsection and the man took her to the hospital, the report states. Her condition is unknown.

No other information was released and Berkeley County Chief Deputy Mike Cochran said the case remains under investigation.


Worker killed at Northwest Side bar was an 'amazing ball of energy'

Chicago, Il (4-4-16) A man shot dead at a Northwest Side bar where he worked was an "amazing ball of energy" who "just wanted to make sure his family was always taken care of," his family said Monday.

"Even if you only met him once, his smile would stay in your heart forever," the family of Angel J. Ortiz Jr., 51, posted in an online appeal for money to help pay for his funeral.

Police said Ortiz was working at Brudder’s Bar & Grill at 3600 N. Pulaski Road when someone outside fired shots around 11:45 p.m. Saturday. He was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead at 5:39 p.m. the next day, police said.

Ortiz was apparently hit by a bullet that pierced the bar's front window. A van across the street had two of its passenger side windows shattered, but it was unclear if it was caused by gunfire.

Tina Anaya, who lives near the bar, heard three or four shots while she was at home. "It was a little scary because I was wondering where they came from because it happened so close," she said.

“There have been fights before,” said Anaya, who has lived about a block from the bar since August. “I can hear people yelling outside. I have two other bars that are close to me, where I live, but you can tell when people are leaving, with all the noise. The crowd is very young.”

But police said they are not aware of problems at the bar, though it has agreed to close for now.

“They’ve entered into a voluntary closure,” said Anthony Guglielmi, chief spokesman for the Police Department.

If the owners decide to reopen, they would work with police on a public safety plan, Guglielmi said. “It appears that this establishment is already working closely with us,” he said.

The longtime owner of the bar, George Michael, told the Tribune the bar would be closed until further notice out of respect for the Ortiz family. He said he was also offering a $2,500 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

“He was working one night a week checking IDs at the door,” said Michael, who opened the bar in 1991. “He was just trying to make some extra money for his family. It’s a tragedy.”

Brudder's was equipped with video surveillance both inside and outside the bar and the recordings have been handed over to the police.

According to Michael, there was no fight in the bar prior to the shooting. He said he believed the shooting was unrelated and that the bullet came through the window of the bar and accidentally struck the victim in the head.

“It was a totally random, senseless thing,” he said.

Michael gained notoriety several years ago when he wore a wire for the feds in an investigation of former Chicago cop Steven Mandell, who was convicted in a grisly plot to murder and dismember a businessman. Michael had pretended to go along with the plan to kill a Riverside landlord.

Ortiz's family has set up a memorial fund on the YouCaring website in hopes of raising $10,000 for funeral expenses. As of 4 p.m., $1,720 had been raised.

Arrangements were being handled by the Alvarez Funeral Home.

Chicago Tribune's Jason Meisner contributed.


Accidental shooting investigation underway in Ridgeland

RIDGELAND, SC (4-4-16) The Ridgeland Police Department is investigating after a 23-year-old black male accidentally shot himself in the right leg on Saturday afternoon.

Investigators say the male was asked to hold a handgun for another male the night before, and when he was returning it to him in a wooded area behind the Siesta Motel motel bordering Wise Street, he accidentally fired it while removing it from his pocket. He reportedly gave it to the other male subject who immediately left the area, and returned to the motel to call 911.

According to police, the victim refused to cooperate with the investigation, and was ultimately placed on trespass notice for The Siesta Motel at the Property Manager's request.


Man accidentally shoots himself

KINGMAN AZ, (4-5-16) Mohave County Sheriff’s deputies responded to an accidental shooting Saturday evening. At about 10:12 p.m., deputies responded to a residence in the 1500 block of E. Northfield Avenue. Investigations determined that William Ray Bagley Jr., 24, of Kingman, accidentally shot himself in his shoulder. The sheriff’s department said Bagley was intoxicated. Bagley was treated at Kingman Regional Medical Center.


Weekend deadly shootings put spotlight on gun safety

ROCK HILL, SC (4-4-16) Two Rock Hill high school students are dead after being shot this weekend in two separate incidents. One happened in Rock Hill, the other in York.

The police department and community members said they're concerned - with the spotlight now on gun safety.

Police said one of the shootings was accidental and the other was random. Friends of both victims said both teen shootings were easily preventable.

Nicholas Carter said he knew both teens who died after being shot over the weekend, 17-year-old E'Monnie Dixon and 17-year-old Ja'Terreon Thorne.

"It really hurts. I woke up and found out. When I went to sleep everything was fine. I seen they were talking about JT got shot," Carter expalined.

Carter said what hurts even more is finding out one shooting was accidental, and the other random.

E'Monnie a young mother who went to Rock Hill High School - and Ja'Terreon from Northwestern High School.

"We feel for the families and their classmates. I wish I wasn't having this conversation with you today. It's such a sad time for our community," said Cpt. Bollinger.

Rock Hill police have ruled Ja'Terreon's death accidental. His friend Robreese Picket allegedly had the gun in his hand when it went off - killing the 17-year-old.

"The kids nowadays need to put the gun down. They really don't need to be doing any of this arguing and beefing or none of that. Innocent people are out there losing their lives over stupid stuff," Carter said.

The other shooting happened in York. Officers said E'Monnie was randomly shot at a party.

Now the community is coming together and greatly concerned about gun safety.

"You can't blame the parents because the parents are not out in the streets with these kids. Police are patrolling these streets so maybe a little but more of police protection," Curtis Hinton said.

Rock Hill Schools told FOX 46, "It has been an extremely sad 24 hours."

The police department wants to warn teens about the consequences of playing with guns - ad how it can end up deadly.

"Some of the trigger pressures, if you touch it it'll go off. Where some of it, you have to pull hard on the trigger to make it discharge," Cpt. Bollinger explained.

Police said Picket, the teen arrested for shooting Ja'Terreon, is charged with involuntary manslaughter.

York police are still looking for the suspect who shot Dixon.


Friend: Fatal shooting a "freak accident"

Amarillo, Tx (4-4-16) Homicide detectives have identified the person who shot and killed a local businessman last week at a friend’s home in central Amarillo, but no arrests have been in the case, police said Monday.

Police found Chad Farner, 39, with a gunshot wound to the upper body at 9:42 p.m. Thursday at a home at 1910 S. Van Buren St., one block south of Interstate 40.

He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital where he died.
Farner was the owner of All Game Apparel, which provided uniforms to local sports teams.

Dustin Berry, a childhood friend of Farner’s who has organized a fundraiser for the family, said the shooting was accidental.

“It’s a tragedy, a freak accident,” Berry said. “It was a misfire of a gun that ricocheted, hit the floor and unfortunately hit Chad. It’s crushing for everybody who was there and even more crushing for the one who was holding the weapon.”

Farner’s death left a void in the lives of his two daughters, Cali, a freshman at Amarillo College, and Caitlyn, a freshman at Amarillo High School, Berry said.

To help fulfill the dreams that Farner had for his two daughters, Berry started a YouCaring fundraiser to help pay college tuition costs for the girls.

“It was something simple I could set up and I was really thinking of his daughters and what they will be doing now without their dad,” Berry said.

The fundraiser had raised $2,630 as of Monday. The goal is to raise $15,000.

“This is to offset some of those costs that their father would normally pay for,” Berry said. “College isn’t $15,000 for two girls and there will be a lot more stuff that’s required, but the main intent is to get the girls an education.”


No comments:

Post a Comment