Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Pregnant Tennessee teen, 15, among 6 teens shot in gun negligence today, 5 dead

Teenager dies in accidental shooting inside Northland home

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (3-15-16) A teenage boy has died from an apparently accidental shooting in the Northland. Police sources tell FOX 4 the shooting happened on Monday night inside a home near North Flora and Northeast 80th Street.

Police haven’t given many details about what exactly happened inside the home. A spokesperson says around 10 p.m., officers were called to the home to investigate a disturbance.

When officers arrived, they learned that a teenager who lives in the home accidentally shot another teenage boy who was apparently staying with the family. Sources say the victim may have been 16 years old.

Neighbors say they heard one gunshot ring out from the house.

“From a couple of neighbors, we heard that they saw a lot of police cars. They saw the parents were in separate police vehicles. It`s every parent`s worst nightmare to hear of an accidental shooting, especially when there`s children involved, very tragic,” said one woman who lives nearby.

Neighbors also say they saw police take the parents and their teenage sons away in separate cars. As of now, no one has been arrested or charged in connection with the shooting.

Teen victim of accidental shooting in MacArthur

MacArthur, Wy (3-15-16) A teenaged victim in Monday's fatal accidental shooting in MacArthur has been identified.

The Raleigh County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as 18-year-old Christopher Kelley, who was shot in the chest while at a residence on Bethel Road.

The suspect is a juvenile male, a press release sates.

"At this time, the shooting does not appear to be intentional and no arrests have been made; however, the investigation is ongoing," the release reads.

The release did not state if alcohol was a factor, as originally reported.    — Daniel Tyson

Pregnant teen killed with 12-gauge shotgun, suspect says shooting accidental

Whitehaven, Tn (3-15-16) A man charged in the shooting death of a pregnant 15-year-old girl told police that the victim was playing with a 12-gauge shotgun when it fired hitting her in the head as he tried to take the gun away from her, according to arrest records.

Terry Turner, 24, has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Vianca Harris Monday at the Valley Forge Apartments in the 100 block of Hillview Avenue, off Neely Road in Whitehaven.

When police arrived around 1 a.m., they found the teen slumped over the couch with a gunshot wound behind her left ear, according to the arrest affidavit.

Harris was pronounced dead on the scene by paramedics with the fire department. Her death was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner's office, according to an arrest affidavit.

Police said Harris was four to five weeks pregnant when she was killed. Turner now also faces charges in the death of Harris' unborn child.

A witness told police that he was in the living room with the victim and the defendant when the shooting occurred. The man alleged that he saw the defendant get the shotgun from a closet, rack the gun and fire one shot at the victim, hitting her in the head, according to an arrest affidavit.

The defendant told police the shooting was accidental because he was trying to take the gun away from the victim.

Turner was arrested and remains in jail on a $200,000 bond.

According to court records, Turner was arrested last year charged with identity theft trafficking.

In that incident, police arrested Turner and another man after officers found more than a dozen identifications that did not belong to them in their car after they were pulled over on a traffic stop.

Police said Turner gave police a fake name and age before admitting that he had warrants. The arrest affidavit refers to Turner as "she." Turner was booked as a woman and taken to Shelby County Jail East. Authorities later discovered Turner was male. Turner was then transferred to the men's jail at 201 Poplar.

Accidental firing of weapon inside house kills Chattanooga woman

Chattanooga, Tn (3-15-16) The shooter sat in the sun with his head in his hands as investigators walked in and out of the house beside him Tuesday afternoon.

At 1:09 p.m., Aaron Randal, 22, was handling a weapon when it discharged and he unintentionally shot and killed 19-year-old Carly Ellis inside the home at 1206 Lewis St.

The bullet went through a wall and hit Ellis in the neck, according to Chattanooga police. Investigators have not said what type of weapon was involved.

"One occupant of the house was handling a firearm and negligently discharged that firearm," police Chief Fred Fletcher said.

After the shooting, after the ambulance left and police arrived and the crime scene tape went up, Randal sat silently on the ground, not looking at anyone as investigators gathered evidence and processed the scene. Blood soaked his pants.

Later, he was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car. He has not been charged with a crime, but Fletcher said he hasn't ruled out charges. Investigators will work with District Attorney Neal Pinkston to determine if charges should be brought, Fletcher said.

"We are doing a complete investigation, and if somebody behaved in a way that was criminal we will work with the district attorney to make sure that the community has the opportunity to hold people accountable to any criminal charges," Fletcher said.

It's unclear how Ellis and Randal knew each other. They weren't related, Fletcher said, and the woman did not live in the home. Neither Ellis nor Randal have criminal histories in Hamilton County, court records show.

Ellis is the sixth person in Chattanooga to be killed so far in 2016. Seven days ago, 41-year-old Michael Hines was shot to death at his mother's home in Brainerd. And on March 2, 71-year-old Orlandus Metcalfe was gunned down while at home in his bed.

Ellis, who worked at downtown club Raw Chattanooga, is at least the second person to be unintentionally shot and killed in the Chattanooga region this year — on Feb. 29, 3-year-old Gavin Pittman found a gun in a glovebox and accidentally shot and killed himself in Apison. His mother, Kelly Pittman, later was charged with criminally negligent homicide.

A woman on the front porch of the home on Lewis Street declined to speak with the Times Free Press Tuesday.

TPW: Weatherford senior shot himself while hunting

Weatherford, Tx. (3-15-16) A Weatherford High School senior killed in a hunting accident Monday morning apparently accidentally shot himself, according to information from the Wise County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Brennan Weikel, a 17-year-old football player on spring break this week, was hunting with his stepfather and one or two other relatives early Monday morning in Wise County when the shooting occurred, according to officials.

The group had a lease license and were hunting hogs overnight on a property off County Road 3825 south of Runaway Bay near the Wise County and Jack County line, according to Game Warden Penny Nixon.

“They were placed in individual ground blinds, the little wooden ones,” Nixon said. “His stepfather shot a hog and called the victim to ask him to help retrieve it. And the stepfather reported that immediately upon hanging up with the stepson, just seconds later, he heard a shot. It came from the blind where the young victim was.”

After getting no response to a text asking about the shot, the Weikel’s stepfather, who was approximately 300 yards away, went over to the stand and found the teen crumpled up in the corner, his feet tangled up in a chair, according to Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin.

“There may have been some hunter inexperience involved,” Nixon said.

Akin said the gun is believed to have gone off when he leaned over the rifle, which had a round chambered and the safety off, and all indications point to an accidental shooting.

Nixon said it appears that when Weikel went to stand up and move out of the blind, he reached for the grip of the rifle and squeezed the trigger as he moved, shooting himself with a .243 round.

“It was instantly fatal,” Nixon said. “It’s a real tragedy.”

Weikel had completed a gun safety course five days earlier and was licensed to hunt, according to law enforcement officials.

The teen’s body has been sent to Dallas for autopsy and the Remington 789 sent to a firearms examiner, according to Akin, who said the local Texas Ranger is also assisting in the investigation.

A funeral service for Weikel will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at New River Fellowship Church in Hudson Oaks. Visitation has been scheduled for 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday at Greenwood Funeral Home on White Settlement Road in Fort Worth.

Deputies believe Raleigh County shooting was accident

Raleigh County, W. Va (3-15-16) An 18-year-old man was shot in the chest in what police believe was an accident in Raleigh County Monday. Christopher Lee Kelley was shot in the chest while at a home on Bethel Road in MacArthur, according to a news release from the Raleigh County Sheriff’s Office. The shooter was a juvenile male, deputies say. Deputies did not arrest anyone, but say in the release that the investigation is ongoing.

Man drunkenly shot himself at Bristol Polish American Club: police

BRISTOL, CN (3-15-16) A Middlefield man has been charged with drunkenly shooting himself at the Bristol Polish American Club.

Derrick Schultz, 35, was allegedly drinking at the club’s bar on Feb. 4 around 3:50 p.m., when he accidentally fired off the handgun he had on him, injuring his scrotum, according to the arrest warrant.

According to police, there were other people inside the club when the gun went off, but they did not report any injuries.

Schultz was arrested over the weekend on charges of unlawful discharge of a firearm, first-degree reckless endangerment, illegally carrying a firearm under the influence, second-degree breach of peace and third-degree criminal mischief.

Police responded to the Polish American Club, 541 North Main St., on Feb. 4 on the report of a shot fired, but Schultz had already left, police said.

Officers used his cell phone number from his club membership application to call Schultz and find that he was at his friend’s house on Farmington Avenue. Police went to the home, where Schultz came out with portions of his pants blood-soaked.

Officers seized a Ruger handgun from him, and he was brought to Saint Francis Hospital in Hartford. The injury was not life-threatening.

A search warrant for Schultz’s medical records would later indicate that his blood alcohol content was 0.12, according to police.

Schultz, who is free on a $2,500 non-surety bond, is scheduled to be arraigned in Bristol Superior Court on Monday.

Man shoots self while hunting snakes

GRAHAM COUNTY, AZ (3-15-16) A man was admitted to the Mt. Graham Regional Medical Center on March 4 after he accidentally shot himself while attempting to kill a den of rattlesnakes.

According to a Graham County Sheriff’s Office report, Don Wolff was reported to authorities by emergency room staff at about 2:46 p.m. as having a gunshot wound to his left arm. When asked about the injury, Wolff said he was on the top rim southeast of Safford Ranch Mobile Home Park at 3201 E. U.S. Highway 70 when he discovered a rattlesnake den.

Wolff allegedly said he then grabbed a tree branch with his left hand and proceeded to shoot a couple snakes with his .22 caliber semi-automatic Ruger pistol.

No comments:

Post a Comment